Thursday 16 April 2009

Shepherd

CLAUDIA'S MAGAZINE issue 04/09

Being a shepherd now, has certainly nothing to do with being a shepherd 50 years ago. Ew wanted to Know more about this "dying" profession so we interviewed a shepherd from Reure a town where there are still people working int the traditional way.

R: Hello Mr. Josep, I'm a reporter from "Claudia's magazine" and you have agreed to vgive us an interview. Here is my first question: Do you think that being a shepherd is a profession that is dying out?

J: I hate to admit it but you are right! Every day, more and more, machines are replacing my work, I can't have as many sheep as before because lots of the fields are being built on...

R: Oh, I see! Do you think that the increasing population is also a threat?

J: Yes, most definetly! More people means more cars and less time.

R: More cars means that it's more dangerous for the sheep to cross the road, isnt't it? But waht do you mean by less time?

J: You see young lady, some years ao hardly anybody had a car and nobody mainded waiting for my sheep to cross the road. Now everyboddy seems to be in a hurry!!

R: Well, I'm not... let's continue with the next question: Compared to the olden days, which parts of the sheep do you use now?

J: Years ago everybody knew that my sheep were the best, not only did the people buy the meat and the milk but also the wooll or the products that my wife made out of it.

R: Like what?

J: Well, we sold jumpers, scarfs, slippers... and they were pretty nice and comfortable...

R: I guess they were.

J: Thank you! But nowadays with the people being lazier, sumpermarkets offering everything prepeared in plastic bags, and fashion clothes shops at every corner the competition is just too hard for a single sheperd.

R: Well, Josep, that sounds very dull, I'm sure there must be something that you enjoy after all...?

J: Of course I do, I still love my job and above all I like being outside.

R: Thank you for your time and the interview, good luck for the future!

dialogue.

No comments: